by Apparel Resources
01-October-2019 | 4 mins read
Considered to be the busiest time for shopping throughout the year, Bobble AI has launched a survey report overviewing the great Indian festive season.
On the basis of number of users and data from Bobble Keyboard, Amazon app has emerged to be the one that has the highest presence with 35 per cent of the total user base having the app on their phone.
Flipkart with 32 per cent comes second, PayTM comes third with 29 per cent, followed by Myntra at 4 per cent.
However, in terms of the number of active visits on the app, Flipkart emerges the winner, with Amazon coming second and PayTM taking the third spot yet again.
Flipkart has 25 per cent more visits than Amazon and 18x more visits as compared to Myntra. It is clear that Amazon and Flipkart comprise the bulk of India’s online retail market. Clearly, Amazon is investing much more on preloading their application on smartphones, but such preloaded apps are not being used much organically.
- As per Bobble Keyboard’s data, amongst the online shopping on smartphones, fashion and apparel reigns supreme with almost 82 per cent of users talking about the category and a further 79 per cent being brand-specific during their conversations.
- Beauty/health/groceries are the second most talked about category with 61 per cent conversations mentioning the brands.
- Other major categories include home appliances, personal appliances and furniture, respectively.
- The report suggests, in terms of gender, with 87 per cent of women and 84 per cent of men looking at fashion and apparel as a category.
- Furniture remains the least loved category.
- Within all 5 major categories, there is a higher percentage of women shopping online than men, even though there are almost 6x more men on the platforms than women.
- Fashion and apparel is at number one across north, south, east and west; home appliances come second in the north and west, food & groceries in the east and jewellery in the south.
Even though the Indian e-commerce market has grown to US $ 38.5 billion in 2018-19, compared with US $ 33 billion in 2017-18, festive spending in 2019 has decreased in comparison to 2018.
The above data identifies regional cultural differences. Uttar Pradesh, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat and Tamil Nadu are the most active online shoppers. It can be inferred that online shopping is slowly becoming a part of Tier-2 and Tier-3 cities as well, with fashion and apparel being the undisputed winner once again.
Smartphone usage is increasing every day; 1 out of 3 Indians will be using their smartphones throughout their shopping journey during this festive season. There are still certain gaps during the entire experience that can put them off the experience of shopping on their mobiles.
Despite being one of the fastest growing smartphone markets, India recorded the slowest growth in the segment in 2019. The upcoming festive season will hopefully be the saving grace for the smartphone segment.
About Bobble AI
The report is based on the data collected on the Bobble AI platforms only. Bobble AI is in compliance with GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation). The data is extracted from Bobble keyboard users through a transparent manner to abide by the privacy policies.
Bobble is empowering the Next Billion Indians by making their communication personalised, expressive and smarter with its cutting-edge artificial intelligence around input methods.
Share This Article