A textile store on TD road, near the busy Ernakulam market, was engulfed in flames yesterday morning.
Around 10:30am, people first saw the fire at the shop K. V. Babu and Sons and in no time, the fire fighting team was informed about the incident.
Around 12 units of fire tenders were immediately sent to control the fire at the busy Cloth Bazar road in Broadway.
The narrow lanes of Broadway made things difficult for the fire fighters and soon the fire spread to other shops as well. “The fire tenders had to be lined up one after the another in a queue as there was limited space for the vehicles to move,” said K.K. Shiju, Regional Fire Officer.
The team finally managed to control the fire after struggling for an hour.
Though short-circuit has been cited as the cause of fire, the exact cause would be ascertained only after the investigation. There have been, however, no reports of any casualties.
Meanwhile, Soumini Jain, Mayor of Kochi, has blamed the traders for encroaching the pathways and illegal developments, which eventually led to this mishap.